Brown Butter Banana Bread with Brown Sugar Crumble
I don’t mess around with Banana Bread recipes. I’ve already coined my mom’s recipe as “The BEST Banana Bread” so there really is no reason to tinker with it…. unless I can’t find sour cream.
As much as it kills me, I had to substitute Greek yogurt for the sour cream and the results were… noteworthy. Like, my friends devoured it within seconds and Tony, who hates bananas and attempts to only eat dessert on the weekends, was eating this for breakfast at 8AM on a Monday.
stubborn loyal person so my mom’s recipe still remains “The BEST Banana Bread,” but this version… this version was pretty amazing, especially for something that replaces sour cream with a healthy ingredient. However, I didn’t want anyone to think I was trying to post a healthy dessert so I added a healthy serving of Brown Sugar Crumble on top. It’s not optional. This crumble kind of makes the bread.
If you’re looking to eat healthy, then you probably shouldn’t be eating dessert in the first place, but this bread– full of bananas and protein-packed Greek yogurt is surely a decent runner-up and a lot more fun than no dessert at all ;).
Brown Butter Banana Bread by The Bite-Sized Baker:
1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 eggs, room temperature
4 ounces full-fat Greek yogurt, room temperature
4 ounces milk, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups ripe bananas, mashed (3-4 bananas)
1 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
Brown Sugar Crumble:
¼ cup brown sugar, packed
¼ cup flour
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- To brown butter, place butter (8 tablespoons) in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until butter foams, then browns (be careful not to burn), 5–8 minutes. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- To make the brown sugar crumble, combine brown sugar, flour, and 2 tablespoons of the browned butter in a small bowl using your fingers until it resembles coarse crumbs and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare one loaf pan.
- To make banana bread, in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition. Add baking soda, Greek yogurt, milk, and vanilla and blend well.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients, alternating with the mashed bananas.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan, sprinkle crumble generously over, and bake until top is brown and a toothpick comes out clean, 45-55 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes.