Peanut Butter Nutella Ganache Sandwich Cookies
Last week I had a terrifying experience. I was locked in a pitch black closet with a bottle opener and a pair of scissors. I couldn’t see my own hand an inch from my eyes. I almost had a panic attack…
But then something magical happened… Well, about 30 minutes later something magical happened– I processed film for the first time in my life!
Albeit I fogged about half of my film, it was a very interesting learning process, panic attack and all. Our first assignment for my photography class was “Close Up,” and since I lack any ingenuity, I obviously chose to photograph food. I don’t mess around.
Although my first attempt of manually processing film might have been a little unsuccessful, I didn’t really care after eating one, or five, of these cookies. Nutella and Peanut Butter? Sweet sweet victory.
As you can see, I am clearly at the bottom of the learning curve.
Peanut Butter Cookies slightly adapted from Joy of Baking:
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
¾ cup peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup granulated white sugar (for rolling)
Nutella Ganache recipe from In Good Taste:
¾ cups Nutella Hazelnut Spread
½ cups Heavy Cream
1 teaspoon Coarse Sea Salt
1 tablespoon Brandy, Optional
- Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter until creamy and smooth. Add the peanut butter and sugars and beat until light and fluffy (about 2 – 3 minutes). Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat to combine. Beat in the heavy cream. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the peanut butter mixture and beat until incorporated. Cover and chill the batter for about an hour, or until firm enough to roll into balls.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and place rack in the center of the oven.
- Roll the batter into 1 inch (2.5) round balls. Place the granulated white sugar in a shallow bowl and roll each ball in the sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches (5 cm) apart.
- Bake the cookies for about 8 – 10 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, place the Nutella into a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil and then pour it over the Nutella. Whisk until smooth. Stir in the sea salt, if desired.
- Let the ganache cool slightly before spreading the filling on the bottom of one cookie and top with another to form a sandwich. Repeat with all the cookies.
- Serve immediately or store in refrigerator.
Makes 2 dozen large sandwich cookies