Sweet Potato Chili
I went running the other day for the first time since field hockey ended. Silly me thought it would be a good time to break in my new Vibrams by running 6 miles after not exercising for a week.
I have never felt pain like this before in my calves. I cannot even extend my legs without excruciating pains running down my body… Except for maybe when I’m getting up from the couch to eat some of this chili.
I told you I am obsessed with chili. However, this chili inspiration came from my newfound obsession with sweet potatoes.
I just cannot get enough of them lately.
Comfort food at it’s finest.
Sweet Potato Chili recipe by The Bite-Sized Baker:
6 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 ¼ pounds ground turkey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons reserved Adobo sauce (from Chipotle Peppers)
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon coriander
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 can black beans
1 ½ cups sweet potato, diced
Salt and pepper
- In large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until lightly crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from pan and set aside.
- Add olive oil to the pan. Once oil is heated, add the meat and break it up with a wooden spoon. Cook meat until no longer pink, roughly 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat slightly and add the garlic, onions, bell peppers, chipotle peppers, oregano, coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until the vegetables are tender and seasonings are aromatic.
- Stir in the beans, reserved bacon, and sweet potatoes and toss together. Add the crushed and diced tomatoes. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1 ½ hours or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary. Transfer the chili to serving bowls and garnish with lime wedges, sour cream, shredded cheese, and sliced scallions.