Homemade Pizza with Truffle Oil
For years I have heard friends and foodies alike rave about truffle mushrooms. All the while thinking to myself, “What can possibly be so great about a mushroom?” (No, not those kind of ‘shrooms).
It was not until a fateful day in June while I was scrutinizing the wide selection of olive oils offered at World Market when I stumbled upon La Tourangelle’s Infused Black Truffle Oil. Although it may not have been my first choice to try truffles in oil form for the first time, it was being sold at an affordable price… And realistically, when am I ever going to find fresh truffles at a reasonable price? And so it was resolved, I was going to make a dish using truffle oil! But what would I make?!
Since it was my first time using truffle oil, I wanted to make a simple, yet memorable dish that would be intensified with the addition of truffle oil. I chose to make homemade pizza on a hot stone. This was not your average pie!
On this particular night I was making several homemade pizzas so I skipped a few steps and purchased Trader Joe’s premade Garlic and Herb Pizza Dough. After I rolled out the dough on a floured surface, I placed it on a hot stone and baked it in the oven for 5-10 minutes on 450 degrees F (I wanted a crispy crust without overcooking my toppings)! Once the crust was slightly golden, I added tomato sauce, roasted garlic, freshly grated mozzarella and parmesan cheese, fresh arugula, shaved fingerling potatoes, prosciutto, and sprinkled goat cheese on top. I baked the pizza for about 10-15 minutes until the crust was golden brown and the cheese was melted. Immediately after taking out of the oven, I drizzled truffle oil over the pizza.
It was by far the best pizza of the night, possibly the best I’ve ever had! My only regret is not making homemade pizza dough because that surely would have made a big difference. Regardless of my shortcut or not, the real beauty in this pizza is the pairing of the truffle oil and shaved fingerling potatoes. Don’t get all weird because it’s potatoes on pizza, it is to die for! Tell me what you think!
Homemade Pizza by The Bite-Sized Baker:
Trader Joe’s pizza dough, at room temperature (If you’re feeling fancy, you can make this from scratch)
Trader Joe’s pizza sauce
1 bulb of roasted garlic
1 cup freshly grated mozzarella
¼ cup freshly grated parmesan
½ cup fresh arugula
3-4 small fingerling potatoes, shaved
1-2 slices of prosciutto
2-4 tablespoons fresh goat cheese
1-2 tablespoons truffle oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and place your hot stone or cookie sheet in the oven while it heats up.
- On a floured surface, roll out pizza dough to an even, thin layer, about ¼ inch.
- Transfer dough to hot stone, covered in cornmeal. Bake in oven for 5-10 minutes until dough is slightly golden brown.
- Remove dough from oven and spread pizza sauce and roasted garlic around dough. Cover pizza evenly with mozzarella and parmesan. Top cheese with arugula, shaved fingerling potatoes, and sprinkle with goat cheese.
- Bake in the oven for another 10-15 minutes until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Remove pizza from oven and drizzle with truffle oil and serve.