Carrot Cake with White Chocolate-Cream Cheese Frosting
For my sister’s birthday she asked for Carrot Cake. Since it was her birthday, I wanted to make it extra special… And what’s more special than a two-layer birthday cake?
… A three-layer birthday cake!
I am a little picky about my carrot cake.
- The carrot shreds cannot be thick enough to have a “crunch,” but they cannot be thin enough to turn into mush while the cake is baking.
- The cake must have pecans.
- The cake must not have raisins.
- The cake must have a good ratio of frosting to cake.
This carrot cake was dense and moist, with a hint of spice from the cinnamon and nutmeg. The white chocolate-cream cheese frosting was very rich and flavorful with a subtle taste of white chocolate. (I love white chocolate, but I think any more chocolate in this frosting would be overwhelming. Especially on a three-layer cake). Overall, the cake was exactly what I had aimed for and everyone loved it as well!
Makes 20 Servings
Carrot Cake adapted from AllRecipes:
1 cup apple sauce, ¾ cup plus 2 T vegetable oil
1 ½ cup brown sugar, 1 ½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1.5 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
4.5 cups grated carrots (Using the large size of the grater)
1.5 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9″ x 1.5″ round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, apple sauce, oil, white sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in carrots. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
White Chocolate-Cream Cheese Frosting recipe by The Bite-Sized Baker:
4 oz. quality white chocolate, melted then cooled to room temperature
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
- Melt chocolate in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until smooth. Allow to come to room temperature
- Combine butter and cream cheese in a medium-sized bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Mix in cooled melted chocolate and vanilla until well combined.
- Gradually add powdered sugar until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Frost cooled cake.